Letitia (Tish) James, New York’s incoming Attorney General, told NBC News that she wants to investigate Donald Trump and his inner circle, including his family and business associates.
“We will use every area of the law to investigate President Trump and his business transactions and that of his family as well….We want to investigate anyone in his orbit who has, in fact, violated the law,” stated Ms. James, who is preparing to take over the Attorney General’s office in January, following her historic victory and rise to one of the most powerful offices in New York State as the first Black woman, who is also proud of her Caribbean heritage.
“Taking on President Trump and looking at all of the violations of law I think is no match to what I have seen in my lifetime,” Ms. James said.
Trump’s highly overrated business brand is headquartered in New York, which gives Ms. James the power to investigate him and his associates.
As summarized by NBC News, the Attorney General-elect will dig into:
- Any illegalities involving Trump’s real estate holdings in New York, highlighting the October New York Times investigation into the President’s finances.
- The June 2016 Trump Tower meeting with a Russian official.
- Government subsidies Trump received, which were also the subject of the New York Times investigative work.
- Whether he is in violation of the emoluments clause in the U.S. Constitution through his New York businesses.
- A continuing probe into the Trump Foundation.
Ms. James revealed she will recruit former U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch and other prominent legal experts who can help her fight against the infamous President, which the majority of New Yorkers loathe. She also acknowledged that Robert Mueller, the Special Council for the Russian investigation, has done a great job so far.
“I think he’s closing in on this President,…” she said.